Criminal Justice and Public Safety
It is the mission of the NW Career and Technical Academy Criminal Justice and Public Safety program to provide a comprehensive, and hands on curriculum that challenges and prepares those students who are interested in a career within the Criminal Justice field. This course provides an overview of the American Criminal Justice System and introduces students to the many career paths available within this broad, exciting, and growing field. Students will learn about the legal, professional, and ethical standards and obligations expected of Law Enforcement professionals in the field, the courtroom, and the community. Students will be given significant exposure to the U.S. and Washington State Constitutions, criminal Laws, and the courts while also exploring a range of social, historical, and political issues within the field. CPR training, hazardous materials awareness, and the National Incident Management System are also included in this program. Upon successful completion students will be able to identify and plan the necessary steps to achieve their career goals within the fields of Criminal Justice and Public Safety. High School Credits Earned: 0.5 Civics, 0.5 Social Studies Elective, 1.0 Technical English and 1.0 Occupational Education.
· History of Law Enforcement · Criminal Procedures · Report Writing · Criminal Investigations · Forensic Investigations · Ethical Issues in Law Enforcement · Physical Fitness · Safety, Health, Environmental Factors · Defensive Tactics/Use of Force · Criminal LawThis program is offered at the Mount Vernon Campus.
High school students may earn the following high school credit equivalencies for the school year:
- 1.0 Technical English
- 0.5 Civics
- 0.5 Social Studies Elective
- 1.0 Occupational Education
In addition to the high school credits, students that earn a B or better qualify for the following college credits through Skagit Valley College tuition free!
- CJ 101 Introduction to Criminal Justice 3 cr
- CJ 111 Criminal Justice Procedures 3 cr
- PE 200 First Aid, Safety, & CPR, 2 cr