Welcome to the Northwest Career & Technical Academy’s Summer Session Info Page!
We are excited to start our 2019 Summer Session. Summer session will run June 24 - July 12 with no school on July 4. Programs will run 8-3:30 daily.
In order to enroll for summer session, ALL students will need to create an account within the enrollment system at ncta.smapply.io.
There are 2 parts to the application. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT THE STUDENT THEN VERIFIES THE EMAIL ACCOUNT IN ORDER TO SUBMIT THE APPLICATION.
SUMMER SESSION ENROLLMENT AND FURTHER COMMUNICATION WILL BE DONE BY EMAIL TO THE STUDENT EMAIL IN THE APPLICATION. ACCURATE EMAILS ARE REQUIRED. Students will received an "Acceptance" email within one week of making application.
Additionally, CONFIRMATION OF ATTENDANCE WILL BE REQUIRED PRIOR TO JUNE 21. If confirmation of attendance is not received, there is a possibility of the spot being given away.
Part 1 Student Eligibility: There are 2 questions to verify students are eligible to participate in summer session. A question about attending the summer school open house on April 24 is also on this page.
Part 2 Application Form: There are 5 short pages to this section.
- Page 1: Student demographic information including legal name, birth date, resident high school, gender, phone number, race and ethnicity
- Page 2: Family contact information including name, phone number, email address and relationship to the student. Two guardian's information can be entered on this page.
- Page 3: This is a place for an additional emergency contact. Please do not repeat guardian information here.
- Page 4: Course selection for first choice and second choice options. Please note, specific programs will be available for enrollment on different dates allowing us to highlight our different offerings. If the program you would like is not available, please check back.
- Page 5: Short student responses for participating in NCTA summer program.
Courses that are open now for enrollment:
- Advanced Culinary: This our second year with this very successful partnership between NCTA and the Swinomish Lodge and Casino. This program is open to students at least 16 years old on June 24 and has a desire to look in-depth look at the hospitality and culinary program. Take a look at this short video capturing highlights from last summer. Many of our students we employed for the rest of the summer! The first two days will be at the Mount Vernon Campus. The remainder of the time, the students will be dropped off an picked up at the Swinomish Lodge and Casino.
Upcoming courses open for enrollment:
- Marine Services (at the Anacortes location)
- Welding (at the Meridian HS location)
- Automotive (at the Sedro-Woolley HS location)
- Construction Skilled Trades (at the Sedro-Woolley HS location)
- Fire Science (at the Meridian HS location)
- Fire Science (at the Mount Vernon location)
- Applied Medical Science (at the Mount Vernon location)
- Dental Assisting (at the Mount Vernon location)
- Video Game Development (at the Mount Vernon location)
- Criminal Justice (at the Mount Vernon location)
- Culinary Arts (at the Mount Vernon location)
- Veterinary Assisting (at the Mount Vernon location)
- High School Health (at the Mount Vernon location)-- pending instructor (likely open on April 24)
Notification: Students will be notified by mail the first week of June regarding their program enrollment. We try to honor first selection choices as best we can. NCTA will also try and balance classes for equitable access for all students.
Applications: Go to ncta.smapply.io. No paper applications will be accepted.
Please note that priority will be given to current NCTA consortium member districts. (Anacortes, Bellingham, Burlington-Edison, Concrete La Conner, Meridian, Mount Vernon and Sedro Woolley) Students from other districts are encouraged to get applications in right away so when seats are opened for non-consortium districts, they'll be in line already! Students attending the Enrollment night on April 24 will be placed first.Who is Eligible? Summer Session is open to incoming 9th graders through non-graduated seniors.
Dates and Times: Summer session dates will be June 24 - July 12. Typically, we start the day after the last of the regular school year in June. Classes run from 8 AM to 3:30 PM daily. There will be a 30-minute lunch each day.
Cost: Free! There is no cost for summer school except for possible small fees such as food handlers cards, etc.
Lunch: The Mount Vernon School District will be able to provide Simplified Summer Feeding Program for Children at the Main Campus. Breakfast & Lunch Served Daily Monday through Friday. Meals will be made available at no charge to children 18 years of age and younger. Other students will need to bring their lunch daily as there are no vending machines on campuses.
Credit: Students can earn a semester (0.5) high school occupational education credit for successful completion of a summer school class. Students taking the Family Health course will earn a semester (0.5) high school health credit. Attendance is mandatory to receive credit. For extenuating circumstance regarding attendance, please connect with the Director regarding credit.
Transportation: No transportation provided except through Bellingham School District (to the main campus in MV). Transportation is the responsibility of the student and/or parent. NCTA is happy to help with WTA or SKAT Bus passes if neeed.
Questions: For more information about classes, call 360-848-0706.
Special Assistance: NCTA needs to be advised in advance of the start of summer school regarding students requiring special assistance such as one-to-one educational aides, IEP accommodation, 504 accommodation, etc. If a student requires specific accommodation during the regular school year, the same accommodation is required during summer session. NCTA will coordinate accommodation needs with the student's sending district.